Friday 25 May 2007

For Such a Time as This.

Well some exciting things have been happening in my life, apart from the V8’s which have obviously played a big part of my week.

On Tuesday night I got back into doing a gig that I haven’t done for a while. A mate of mine has injured his neck (compressed vertebrate) so he can’t play Bari Sax for a while. Anyway last year I did this gig at the rising sun and have always wanted to be a permanent part of the band. I( started again on Tuesday night and it was great, I had all these friends from uni show up and they didn’t even know I was playing, it was great. I can see why he has hurt his back and neck though, the wooden chars and 3 hours of playing are a killer.

On Wednesday morning I was a little bit tired from the gig the night before, so I end up running about an hour late, I thought I was in big trouble. Anyway I had been praying for a little while now that God would put me in positions where I could do his work, I am a little bit nervous about starting conversations with people but that is changing, anyway I was catching the train into Uni (an hour late) and I was sitting down reading my book (General Next To God – William Booth’s Life, great book I’ll blog about it when I am done) and an old man walked onto the train platform, all the seats were full so I offered my seat and he said that he was fine (obviously he wasn’t). Anyway, he hobbled towards the train and I saw he wasn’t going to make it without collapsing. I was right, I stood behind him and sure enough, he couldn’t make the step and fell backwards I grabbed him and helped him into the train and into the seat, he thanked me for about 5 mins and I started chatting to him, he was a very funny man. It turned out he was going to Melbourne Central Station and so was I so I knew I would end up helping him out of the train too, sure enough, he fell again and I helped him out of the train, he told me he was fine and thanked me again, I wasn’t going to leave because I was sure he was gong to fall down the escalator, he didn’t need me but I got to speak to him about his wife (who he tells me is with God) and I asked his name and he told me it was ‘Pop’ as in ‘Pop Goes the Weasel’, I almost wet myself with laughter, he was the funniest old man I have ever met. He said he was a rascal and just liked to get out for the day, while he still could.

So Pop I hope you had a good day and I’m glad that God made me late so I was there to help.


“And who knows but that you have come to this position for such a time as this?” Ester 4:14 (NIV)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Georgie! Maybe you should consider a career in aged care..

Dave said...

maybe mate but I wouldn't be changing any 'wet ones'