Saturday 16 June 2007

Day 12: Committing to the Cross

When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake. Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."

Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead." Matt 8:18-22 (NIV)


Wow, that’s a commitment, to give up your own father and mother and follow Christ. That’s fine if you don’t like your family, but if like me you do like your family than that’s a huge call. This is the commitment that God asked of all his disciples. You must deny your family and deny yourself to follow him.

“Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny
himself and take up his cross and follow me.” Matt 16:24 (NIV)
I find it easier to deny myself than to deny my family. My family don’t really understand but they are getting better. It is so much easier to deny myself than to say to my family ‘No, I can’t’.

But even God himself gave up his only son for me, the least I can do is listen to his leading and give him a solid commitment.

Elton John wrote a song called ‘Sorry seems like the hardest word’; I would agree but to some people saying ‘No’ is just as hard. But as Annie taught us all in cell last year we need to know when to say two special words, thanks Annie.

Where does your commitment lie? sadly mine is hugely lacking.

No comments: