Wednesday 25 April 2007

Teaching - the fall.

Why is it that when you think you are up, someone always brings you down?

I am still on my teaching rounds and i taught a year 8 double classroom music class, now there are three difficulties with this:

  1. it's a year 8 class
  2. it's a double period
  3. its classroom music

there was also a forth problem:

4. I only found out about it yesterday, and only got the topic last night.

it was about 70's music, i thought this would be ok because i know a little bit about the development of jazz/soul/funk music in that era. But i wasn't allowed to teach on this stuff, it had to be rock music, which i don't have a clue about, i was stuffed.

I stayed up too late last night preparing for it and i was in tears this morning, praying that it would be ok, it was, i did really well. I was thanking God and i was really excited, until my supervising teacher gave me her notes on my lesson.

The only positive feedback was that I marked the roll well. I almost cried again right in front of her (me a 6foot guy, crying because a 5 foot, seven month pregnant woman who wouldn't be able to reach my head, had told me it wasn't good)

I knew it wasn't great and i knew where i went wrong but i just wanted some encouragement, if i hadn't already thought about giving up now was the time i was ready.

I don't know maybe it will strengthen me to be bought down to earth again, but it sure hurt.


"Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor." Proverbs 18:12. (NIV)

"encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today" Hebrews 3:13 (NIV)

No comments: