Wednesday 27 June 2007

Honesty

Honesty- the hardest thing that this life has (maybe it’s just me). I have been alive for almost 22 years now and for most of it I have lied about one thing or another sometimes I have got away with it, sometimes not. I lied about where I was going, what I was doing, who I was with, it was an obsession, I lied and once you lie once, that lie will never die, and through it another one grows.

The lie that has had the biggest spread for me was that I went bungy jumping. This went around almost everyone I knew, until one day I just couldn’t do it anymore and I had to stop lying, it was eating me up inside, and down goes my credibility.

For me lying was my way of avoiding confrontation, avoiding what I really thought, felt and believed, basically I am a wimp that can’t confront the truth because I don’t have the guts to not be accepted or to disagree with others. If you can’t say who you are and change for others then who are you really? Do you have the right to change someone just because they are different to you.

I am a chronic liar.

There are two types of lying that I got caught up in, lying to further myself, and lying to hide (secrets). The lies may have deferred an awkward situation for a few days but all it does is just increases the pain and suffering for everyone when the lie comes out. And all credibility you may ever have had is no more and is just flushed down the toilet.

When that day comes that everything you have lied about gets found out, your life, everything you know and everything you had comes crashing down like the house built upon the sand (Matt 7).

There are many instances in the bible that speaks of lying, and I can’t find one that says that ‘a white lie is ok’. There’s no excuse, I’ve been warned and the consequences are plain to see.

Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Psalm 34:13 (NIV)

For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. For the curses and lies they utter, Psalm 59:12 (NIV)

For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of all lies. John 8:44 (NLT)



There is one verse that really speaks to me about truth, I didn’t realise it until today but God gave me that verse at the exact time that my secrets became a big problem in my life, I was too proud, arrogant and stupid to act upon what God had told me, its never to late to change but the longer you leave it the higher the price you pay just because I listened to the ‘father of lies’.

Unfortunately, for me I didn’t act until too late, I have lost the thing that was most important to me and the only person to blame is me.



“But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” John 3:21 (NIV)

This could have saved me a whole lot of heartache, all I needed to do was be ready to listen and change myself.

No comments: