Monday 4 June 2007

Day 1: One thing is needed...



"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"


"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."



Luke 10:38-42


Have you ever been told you priorities are out of order? I have, I get told it quite a lot even today by my own family.


Before God lead me to him I was a model student, did my homework, focused on perfection in everything I did and I like to think i was quite a gentleman. My priorities were in order, get through school as well as I could and be nice in the meantime.


Now, I have a new priority one that I think eclipses all others (otherwise it wouldn't be my no 1 priority), Jesus.


To people that don't know and understand Jesus, the commitment required to him by all Christians is a huge one. For me that entails, living life with God every step of the way, being the hands of Jesus that reach out to the lost the last and the least, and listening to the Holy Spirit every step of the way.


My mum couldn't understand why I spent so much time at church and neglecting my Uni work, but it was my number one priority, I wanted more of God.


This is what the story of Mary and Martha represents to some degree, Martha was working so hard to impress Jesus that she missed out on what Jesus was saying, her priority was to prepare this extravagant meal for Jesus, while Mary's Number one priority was to forsake all others and to connect with with the Lord for every second that had been given to her.


Where is you number One priority, Footy, School, Friends, Popularity or Jesus?


Spend 10 seconds and see.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God needs you to have balance in your life too Dave. I love seeing what He is doing in your life, just be careful not to neglect other things in the process of following God. He needs you to follow Him in all aspects of your life, not just in things relating to Church.

Dave said...

Yep i completely agree but all i am trying to say (which i didn't do very well) was that focus needs to be on God's words rather than pleasing others.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Dave and you did say it well, it's okay. I believe that everything we do in life as a Christian needs to be connected to God in some way. I love spending time at Church doing God's work too and it is a priority for me also. I pray that one day your Mum will realise why this is so important to us.

Dave said...

thanks shirl i had a good conversation with her yesterday about a lot of stuff and she did understand most of why i do things, she even bought up the God stuff. So thanks for that Shirl.